Choosing Between a Wheeled Duffel Bag and a Suitcase
For many travellers, wheeled duffel bags prove to be the worthier option. Though suitcase wheels are ideal, even the most well-constructed set of wheels will not be as stable as a rolling duffel bag.
A wheeled duffel bag also tends to hold a greater capacity, and luggage manufacturers can design these bags for different types of travellers. Whether a traveller is looking to use a duffel bag on pavement or off-road, the options are endless.
If you are torn between the two, this article will provide you with the information you need to make a decision. Keep reading below.
Wheelie Luggage Bag
Many modern wheeled duffel bags feature their own style of locking wheels. This makes them easily recognisable in a sea of regular duffel bags. Most wheeled duffel bags will come with a nylon cover to protect the wheels and other parts of the bag that may come in contact with the ground. This is good to have when travelling off-road or going up and down stairs. In most cases, the bags have a foam or cloth lining to keep the inside of the bags clean and dry.
Pros and Cons of Using a Wheeled Duffel Bag
- If a traveller has a lot of baggage, a wheeled duffel bag can be a perfect option.
- The duffel bag will not be as susceptible to damage as a suitcase when being dragged in and out of a taxi, hotel room, off-road terrain, and other places.
- If a traveller is not sure how much they will need to bring, the wheels will allow them to easily navigate crowded areas and tight spaces.
- The wheels may serve as a seat for the traveller when waiting in lines or at the airport.
- Some bags come with a nylon cover to protect the wheels and other parts of the bag that may come in contact with the ground.
- The wheels are also weight. If a traveller has a heavier load, it will be harder to pull a wheeled duffel bag through crowds or on rocky terrain.
- The bag will be heavier when being used.
- The wheels may cause the bag to be unstable.
- The wheels and other hardware may require more maintenance than a traditional duffel bag.
Pros and Cons of Using a Suitcase
- Suitcases are lighter than duffel bags and are easier to manoeuvre through airport terminals and crowded cities.
- If a traveller needs to carry their suitcase, the wheels and handle may provide a comfortable carry.
- Suitcases are not as sturdy and may not be able to support a heavy load.
- The wheels and handle may cause the suitcase to be unstable.
- The wheels may break easily and will have to be replaced. The suitcase will have to be repaired and could become a significant expense.
Clearly, wheeled duffel bags are the better option. Suitcases are often more difficult to maintain because their wheels may be prone to break. When travelling off-road, wheeled duffel bags will not face the same challenges as a wheeled suitcase. Once a traveller knows how to use one and can keep it in place, it will prove to be the best choice of luggage.
For the best canvas duffel bags, check out Troop London. We offer the world’s finest canvas bags, travel bags, and many more. Shop now!