Packing Your Stuff For College: A Handy Guide For Students
Packing for college may be difficult or daunting, especially if you're relocating far away from home. However, using a college packing list to approach the packing process will make packing a lot less stressful. Knowing what to pack ahead of time might also help you remain within your student budget. The following guide will provide you with tips on packing efficiently and what to bring. As you prepare for the next chapter of your life, use our ultimate college packing checklist.
Packing For College: A Useful Starter Guide
Consider how you should pack for college before getting everything on your college packing list. This covers the sorts of stuff worth bringing with you, the best ways to maximise your living space, and the limitations that your school has in place about what you are permitted to bring.
Make Sure You Have the Essentials
For a student dorm room, you'll generally want a few things to make your life easier:
- A universal power adapter for your laptop. You'll want to be able to charge your laptop and other devices no matter where you are in the world.
- A surge protector. It will protect all your electronics against power surges.
- An alarm clock. You'll want to keep track of your classes and assignments, so you'll need a way to stay up-to-date on time.
- Shelving units. Dorm rooms don't come with a lot of built-in storage space. These shelves will help you keep your room tidy.
- A fan. Keeping your room cool will help you sleep better and remove moisture.
- A good mattress pad or topper. If your mattress is too firm or uncomfortable, you'll struggle to get a good night's sleep.
- A closet organiser. Closets are typically small and can make it challenging to keep your belongings organised.
There are a few other items you may want to take with you as well. Depending on the climate of your new location, you'll want to pack some weather-appropriate clothing. You might also want to bring some formal clothing if you plan to attend special events on campus.
What Should I Use to Pack My Stuff for College?
When packing your items, you can use many types of supplies. The following are some tips for supplies and packing methods you can try:
- Use bins for storing college supplies instead of boxes.
- Use vacuum-sealed bags when packing clothes.
- Use waterproof bags when packing electronics and other sensitive items.
- Use laundry bags to separate your dirty clothes from your clean clothes.
- Use plastic bins to store your toiletries.
- Choose sturdy packing tape, bubble wrap, and bins or boxes with handles to protect your items during transit.
What Are You Allowed to Bring to College?
Before you leave for college, you'll want to make sure you're aware of the school's policies regarding luggage. Many schools have their luggage policies about what you can bring to school. Some schools have specific restrictions on the type or size of bags you can bring in, how big your suitcases are allowed to be, and what materials you may or may not use to pack.
If you're moving away from home for the first time, you might want to make a few phone calls to your school to learn about their policies. You can also read your school's college packing list to see what your school recommends you bring to school.
For many incoming college students, packing can seem like an overwhelming process. Knowing what to pack in advance can make the packing process far less stressful. By being informed about your school's policies about luggage, you can also avoid any surprises when you're trying to get settled in your new place.
If you want to find a canvas bag that will fit your day-to-day life in college, Troop London has the best canvas accessories you'll find online. Our diverse catalogue has a wide range that can fit any style. Please take a look at our online store today!